Moving towards ‘extreme convenience’
In a mature market paying more attention to four aspects of the marketing mix – product, price, place, promotion – becomes more important. This short blog focuses on ‘place’ – the method by which you bring your service to buyers.
In a competitive market it’s vital to reach the right target audience and make it more convenient for parents to choose your school, compared with your competitors. It has to be easy for prospective parents to answer the questions, how do I get there and will it fit our lifestyle ? Parents want much more control over their precious time and quality of life, which means that the independent education sector must consider moving towards a state of what we call ‘extreme convenience’. Whatever some think of Amazon, their service is based on extreme convenience. It is an example of serving our needs as quickly and conveniently as possible, and if their advertising is to be believed, they can deliver what we need almost before we have thought about it.
In my experience convenience and accessibility are nearly always in the top three reasons for choosing a school. Providing more tailored transport services becomes more important as parents demand a more individual service for their children. Our surveys have shown that providing an outstanding transport service nearly always improves parental perceptions of value for money, which proves very helpful when affordability has such a high profile. Schools that don’t pay attention to making their school accessible are more likely to lose market share, however good their service.
It’s that time of year when schools consider their transport plans. Our top tips are:
- Know where the families live who are most likely to buy independent education
- Target routes to where these families live
- Work on routes that are most convenient
- Don’t neglect public transport and provide best links for stations
- If your school is situated is a congested city or rural area consider bespoke services
- Avoid over long routes and plan express services
- Don’t leave it to an inexperienced administrator. Make it an intrinsic part of your marketing strategy.
- Use MTC Catchmentor™ to help you work out your routes and target the right locations
For more information call 07885 576514