Blue Sky Thinking
Only a matter of days to go now and another year will be over. And what a year it has been.
This time last year, David Cameron was still (just) Prime Minister, Michael Gove was in the political wilderness and Donald Trump seemed a long way from the White House.
During the last 12 months, we have seen a new Prime Minister come and, almost, go. With her has come – and gone – the prospect of a new crop of grammar schools. And we are still no nearer knowing whether the Government will take the rational view and exclude overseas students from its troublesome immigration statistics.
So, just beyond the inevitable interval of tidying up all that admin which just didn’t quite get done during the year, you can finally see that beach in the Aegean or the olive grove in Tuscany.
And when you get there, and finally have a little time to think, here are five ducks to get in a row for the next round.
- Ready to make the most of the new GCSE grading system? Widespread confusion is forecast this summer with the new 9-1 grades in English and Maths. The BBC reports that, while the official view is that both 4 and 5 represent a pass grade, some universities will accept only a 5. When the dust settles, independent schools will, as always will be well-placed, but has your school decided how it will present the grades when they come through at the end of August?
- Time to change buses? Your school transport routes are a vital component of your marketing strategy, both as a factor in successful recruitment and as mobile advertisements for your school. Do they still serve your current and potential markets effectively or do you need to review them? If not, commission a Melanie Tucker Consulting transport review to increase your recruitment.
- Team review: Much imaginative and well-funded school marketing is handicapped by weaknesses in the organisation and staffing of your marketing and admissions functions. Vital data is lost or ignored, leads are not effectively followed up and people’s skills are not appropriately deployed. Make sure it doesn’t happen in your school. A professional marketing audit will inform your decisions.
- Time for a geography lesson? Commission one of our Catchmentor™ reports to identify the best places to recruit down to street level
- The weather’s lovely. Use the space in the summer for some blue sky thinking to consider your strategy for an ever-changing market.
Have a great summer break and come back refreshed for whatever 2017-18 is going to bring.